Thank you for your interest in the Human Development and Family Sciences at the University of ConnecticutDue to the high volume of requests made to our office, please visit our website (particularly FAQs) for more information about our graduate program. To be admitted to the HDFS graduate program, the applicant must apply to and meet the admission standards of the UConn Graduate School, as well as other standards established by the graduate program in the Department of Human Development & Family Sciences. If you wish to apply to our graduate program, application materials can be found here. All applications must be submitted online.
Note: We only accept applications for Fall admissionApplication Deadlines: Ph.D. applicants - December 15th, M.A. applicants - March 1st
Required materials for application to Human Development Family Sciences
Intended Program, choose Social Sciences.
Field of Study, choose either Human Development and Family Sciences Ph.D. or M.A.
Enrollment Details, choose area of specialization.
- Three letters of recommendation *
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended **
- Unofficial transcripts uploaded onto the online application site
- Proof of English Proficiency (International Applicants)
- Personal Statement highlighting your desired area of specialization, research interests, as well as your preferred advisor, uploaded directly on the application site
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Ph.D. Applicants only: In addition to the above materials, Ph.D. applicants are required to submit a scholarly writing sample. Examples of this include a thesis, a research-based paper, or a published article. Some Ph.D. applicants may be invited to interview with faculty.
* We do not use a specific form for the letters of recommendation. Letters may be uploaded to your application account by your recommenders or mailed directly to our department:
HDFS Graduate Admissions
348 Mansfield Rd., Unit 1058
Storrs, CT 06269-1058
** Upon admission to the program official transcripts should be sent directly to:
Whetten Graduate Center
438 Whitney Road Extention
Storrs, CT 06269-1152
Transcripts may also be electronically delivered to:
Please view the HDFS Graduate Handbook for program information.
For application assistance please contact HDFSgradprogram@uconn.edu
If after reading our website you feel a strong connection to our graduate program offerings, please address any further inquiries to the faculty in your area of specialization. If you choose to apply to the program, it is important that you identify in your personal statement how your interests match our offerings.
Thank you again for your interest and we look forward to assisting you during the admissions process.