Linda Citlali Halgunseth
Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Sciences
Past Chair, SRCD Latino Caucus
- Early Career Award, SRCD Latinx Caucus (2017)
- Early Career Award, AAUP Teaching Excellence (2017)
- Ph.D. University of Missouri
- M.S. University of Missouri
- B.A. with Honors, University of Texas at Austin
- Mexican/American and African American Parenting
- Cultural Influences on Parent-Child Relationships and Parenting
- Children of Immigrants
- Culturally-Appropriate Measurement Development
- Minority Health and Well-Being
Recent Publications (students in italics; see CV for full list)
- Shah, S., Choi, M., Miller, M., Halgunseth, L.C., & Brenick, A. (in press). Family and school belongingness: Protective factors for immigrant youth against bias-based bullying. Special Issue on Research with Immigrant Children and Families. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development.
- Espinosa-Hernández, G., Halgunseth, L.C., Pond, R.S., Daugherty, J., & Dark-Freudeman, A.R. (2020). Barriers to mother-adolescent communication about sex, monitoring, and sexual behavior among adolescents in Mexico. Journal of International Psychology. Online First Publication.
- Pachter, L.M., García Coll, C., Perez-Brena, N., Lopez, L.M., Halgunseth, L.C., Mistry, R.S. Stein, G.L., & Carlo, G., (2020). Assessing the impact of COVID-19 on children and youth. Delaware Journal of Public Health, 46(2A), 40-41.
- Reid, A., Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernández, G., Csizmadia, A., & Card, N. (2019). Cultural Values and Romantic Relationship Satisfaction in Mexican Adolescents: The Moderating Effects of Parental Psychological Control and Gender. Journal of Adolescence, 77, 118-128.
- Halgunseth, L.C., Milan, S., Hynes, K., Melendez-Rhodes, T., & Reid, A. (2019). Depression as a moderator in the relation between mothers’ and daughters’ ethnic identity commitment. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 25(4), 598-603.
- Halgunseth, L.C. (2019). Latino and Latin American parenting. In M. Bornstein (Ed.), Handbook of Parenting (3ed). Social Conditions and Applied Parenting, vol. 4 (pp. 24-56). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Reid, A., Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernandez, G., & Vasilenko, S.A. (2018). Sociocultural influences on the association between negative romantic experiences and psychological adjustment in Mexican adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 28 (4), 888-901.
- Ki, P., Britner, P.A., Rohner, R. R., Halgunseth, L.C., & Rigazio-Digilio, S.A. (2018). Coping with Remembrances of Parental Rejection in Childhood: Gender Differences and Associations with Intimate Partner Relationships. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27 (8), 2441-2455.
- Bouza, J., Camacho-Thomson, D.E., Carlo, G., Franco, X., Garcia Coll, C., Halgunseth, L.C, …White R., (2018, June). The science is clear: Separating families has long-term damaging psychological and health consequences for children, families and communities. Washington, D. C.: Society for Research in Child Development. https://www.srcd.org/sites/default/files/documents/the_science_is_clear.pdf
Former Ph.D. Students:
- Alexander Reid, Ph.D., (2017). Assistant Professor, California State University, Bakersfield
- Erin Donohue, Ph.D., (2020). Visiting Assistant Professor, College of St. Benedict and St. John’s
National Leadership Experience:
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
- Ethnic Racial Issues Committee
- SRCD Special Topic Meeting Program Co-Chair
Construction of the “Other”: Development, Consequences, and Applied Implications of Prejudice and Discrimination (PR, May 2022)
- SRCD Biennial (2021) Panel Co-Chair: Race, Ethnicity, Culture, and Context
- SRCD Latinx Caucus
- Past Chair
- Subcommittee Chairs of Membership, Awards, and Elections
- Society of Research on Adolescence (SRA)
- Membership Committee
- SRA Biennial (2020) Panel Co-Chair: Culture, Inequality, and Intersectionality
|Campus||Hartford, Waterbury, and Storrs|
|Courses||HDFS 3310: Parent-Child Relations in Cross Cultural Perspectives; HDFS 5312: Diverse Families; HDFS 2001: Diverse Issues in HDFS; HDFS 2004W Research Methods in HDFS; LLAS 3470 The Latinx Family|