Accepting students for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
Ph. D. Human Development & Family Studies, University of Missouri, 2008
M. A., German Literature, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2001
Zwischenpruefung, German and English literature and linguistics, University of Trier, Germany, 1999
- racial microaggressions
- multiracial child development
- interracial marriages and families
- ethnic-racial minority and immigrant youth development
- ethnic-racial identity & ethnic-racial socialization
Awards & Honors
- 2020 CLAS Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2019-2020 Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) Teaching Fellow Award
- 2017 UConn Stamford Student Club Advisor of the Year Award
- 2013-2014 University of Connecticut Honors Faculty Member of the Year Award
Selected Publications (* indicates student author)
- Csizmadia, A., Shoreman-Ouimet, E., Heumann, M. D., & Ching, T. H. W. (2020). The UConn Racial Microaggressions Survey. University of Connecticut.
- Reid, A., Halgunseth, L.C., Espinosa-Hernández, G., Csizmadia, A., & Card, N. (2019). Cultural values and romantic relationship satisfaction in Mexican adolescents: The moderating effects of parental psychological control and gender. Journal of Adolescence (77), 118-128. doi: 1016/j.adolescence.2019.10.008
- Csizmadia, A. & †Salazar-Lopez. A. (2019). College students’ attitudes toward interracial relationships: Variations by student race and campus type. Archives of Psychology, 3(5), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.31296/aop.v3i5.108
- Csizmadia, A., & †White, S. A. (2019). Choices, Context, and Consequences. In Roy, R. N., & Rollins, A. (Eds.), Biracial Families: Crossing Boundaries, Blending Cultures, and Challenging Racial Ideologies. New York, NY:
- Tran, A. G. T. T., *Miyake, E. M., *Martinez-Morales, & V., Csizmadia, A. (2016). “What are you?” Multiracial individuals’ responses to racial identity inquiries. Cultural Diversity & Ethnic Minority Psychology, 22(1), 26-37. doi:10.1037/cdp0000031.
- Csizmadia, A., Leslie, L. A., & †Nazarian, R. (2015). Inter-racial families. In K. Pasley & S. Browning (Eds.), Contemporary families: Translating research into practice (pp. 88 – 107). Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group.
- Csizmadia, A., Rollins, A., & *Kaneakua, J. P. (2014). Ethnic-racial socialization and its correlates in families of Black-White biracial children. Family Relations, 63, 259-270. doi: 10.1111/fare.12062.
- Csizmadia, A., & Ispa, J. M. (2014). Biracial children’s psychosocial development from kindergarten to 5th grade: Links to individual and contextual characteristics. Social Development, 23(1), 157-177. doi:10.1111/sode.12037.
- Ispa, J. M., Csizmadia, A., Rudy, D., Fine, M. A., Krull, J. R., Bradley, R. H., & Cabrera, N. (2013). Patterns of maternal directiveness by ethnicity among Early Head Start research participants. Parenting: Science and Review, 13(1), 58 -75. doi: 10.1080/15295192.2013.732439.
- Csizmadia, A., Brunsma, D. L., & Cooney, T. M. (2012). Racial identification and developmental outcomes among Black-White multiracial youth: A review from a life course perspective. Advances in Life Course Research, 17, 34-44. doi: 10.1016/j.alcr.2011.10.003.
- Csizmadia, A. (2011). The roles of racial identification, social acceptance/rejection, social cognition, and racial socialization in multiracial youth’s positive development. Sociology Compass, 5(11), 995-1004. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-9020.2011.00418.x.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Csizmadia, A., Roy, R., Rollins, A., & Atkin, A. L. (2022, February). Parenting Multiracial Children: Understanding Diverse Lived Experiences and (the Limitations of) Existent Research. Accepted for presentation at the 2022 Critical Mixed Race Studies Conference to be held virtually.
- *Miller, M., Halgunseth, L. C., Csizmadia, A., & Brenick, A. (2022, March). Investigating Responses to Hypothetical Vignettes and Actual Responses to Bullying by Gender Among Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Middle School Youth. Submitted for presentation at the 2022 Biannual Meeting of the Society of Research on Adolescence to be held in New Orleans, LA.
- Csizmadia, A., & *Uva. S. (2022, March). Racial Group as Moderator of Relations between Dimensions of Ethnic Identity and Indicators of Positive and Negative Adjustment in College Students. Submitted for presentation at the 2022 Biannual Meeting of the Society of Research on Adolescence to be held in New Orleans, LA.
- Csizmadia, A., Ching, T., Shoreman-Ouimet, E., & Heumann, M. (2021, July). Racial Microaggressions and Trauma Symptoms among Students of Color. Presented at the 6th Biannual APA Division 45 Research Conference (Virtual).
- Csizmadia, A., Watson, R., & *Renley, B. (2021, November). Family Acceptance and Depressive Symptoms among Biracial LGBTQ Adolescents: A Within-Group Approach. Accepted for presentation at the 2021 Annual National Council on Family Relations Meeting.
- Lee-Garland, S., Csizmadia, A., & Lyness, K., (2021, November). Transnationalism, Multiracial Identity Resilience and Challenges, and the Role of Gender in Second-Generation Immigrant Multiracial Asians. Accepted for presentation at the 2021 Annual National Council on Family Relations Meeting.
- *Miller, M., & Csizmadia, A. (2021, November). Applying the Family Stress Model to Parental Acculturative Stress and Latinx Youth Adjustment: A Review of the Literature. Submitted for presentation at the 2021 Annual National Council on Family Relations Meeting.
- Lee-Garland, S., Csizmadia, A., & Lyness, K., (2021, November). Transnationalism as Mediator of the Association between Identity Fluidity and Multiracial Resilience and Challenges among Second-Generation Immigrant Multiracial Asians. Accepted for presentation at the 2021 Annual National Council on Family Relations Meeting.
- Csizmadia, A. (2019, March). Examining the Role of Parents in the Racial Development of Multiracial Youth. Invited discussant at the 2019 Biannual Meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development, Baltimore, MD.
- Reid, A., Halgunseth, L. C., Csizmadia, A., Card, N., & Espinosa-Hernandez, G. (2019, March). Cultural Values and Romantic Satisfaction in Mexican Adolescents: Moderation by Parental Psychological Control and Gender. In Simpson, E. (Chair), Parents, partners, and peers: Examining the context of supportive relationships in Latina/o adolescents. Presented at the 2019 Biannual Meeting of the Society for Research on Child Development to be held in Baltimore, MD.
- Csizmadia, A., & Davis, A. N. (2018, November). When White Parents Raise Adopted Children of Color: Issues and Research. Poster presented at the 2018 NCFR Conference, San Diego, CA.
- *Collins, C.M., Csizmadia, A., & *Hynes, K. C. (2018, November). Ethnic Racial Identity Development in Transracial Foster Placements: Building on What We Know. In K. M. Hrapczynski (Chair), Transracial Adoption, Foster Care, and Socialization. Paper presented at the at the 2018 NCFR Conference, San Diego, CA
- *Donohue, E., *Beck, S., Halgunseth, L. C., & Csizmadia, A. (2018, March). Parental warmth and cognitive stimulation: Two-parent families versus deceased co-parent family differences. Poster presented at the Annual Convention of the Eastern Psychological Association (EPA), Philadelphia, PA.
- Csizmadia, A., *Small, K.-A., & Card. N. R. (2017, August). Racial Socialization and Psychosocial Adjustment in Black American Youth: A Meta-Analysis. Presented at the 2017 APA Convention in Washington, DC.
- *Small, K.-A., Csizmadia, A., & Card. N. R. (2016, November). Racial Socialization and Black Adolescent Racial Identity: A Meta-Analysis. Presented at the 2016 NCFR Conference, Minneapolis, MN.
Editorial Board Memberships
- Journal of Research on Adolescence
- Journal of Family Psychology
- Journal of Marriage and Family
Graduate & Undergraduate Teaching
- HDFS 5312: Diverse Families: Adaptations throughout the Lifespan (Storrs)
- HDFS 5102: Early and Middle Childhood Development (Storrs)
- HDFS 3141: Developmental Approaches to Intergroup Relations and Victimization (Stamford)
- HDFS 2001: Diversity Issues in HDFS (Stamford)
- HDFS 2004W: Understanding Research Methods in HDFS (Stamford)
- HDFS 1070: Individual & Family Development (Stamford)
- HDFS 3110: Social & Community Influences on Children in the US (Stamford)
- HDFS 3103: Adolescent Development (Stamford)
- HDFS 3311W: Parenthood & Parenting (Stamford)
|Mailing Address||University of Connecticut, One University Place Stamford, CT 06901-2315, USA|
|Office Location||University of Connecticut, Stamford campus: One University Place Stamford, CT 06901-2315 USA Room 3.36 University of Connecticut, Storrs campus: Family Studies Building 348 Mansfield Road Room 123E|