Lisa A Eaton
Accepting students for 2021
Curriculum Vitae: June 2020
- Post Doctoral Fellowship, Yale University, 2010
- PhD, University of Connecticut, 2009
- BA, University of Connecticut, 2004
- Health disparities research with race/ethnic, sexual, and gender identity minority populations.
- Structural and behavioral interventions to improve health and well-being.
- Stigma and its effect on marginalized populations.
- Domestic and international research on social determinants of disease, in particular, HIV prevention and treatment.
- Research methods in the social/behavioral sciences.
- Human sexuality and positive well-being.
Selected Professional Accomplishments
- Primary Mentor, PrEP and Substance Use among Sexual Minority Young Adults (PI Watson). Funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, K01DA047918.
- Co-Investigator, Estimating Mediation and Moderation Effects in HIV Incidence Prevention Trials (PI Pitpitan). Funded by National Institute on Drug Abuse, R01DA042666.
- Principal Investigator, Unified Approach to Address PrEP Cascade for BMSM. Funded by National Institute of Mental Health, R34MH115798.
- Principal Investigator, Novel Stigma/Structural Interventions to Increase HIV/STI Testing Uptake among BMSM. Funded by National Institute of Mental Health, R01MH109409.
- mPrincipal Investigator, Unified Intervention to Impact HIV Care Continuum. Funded by National Institute on Drug Abuse, R01DA043068.
- Associate Editor for AIDS and Behavior
- Co-Director, National Institute of Mental Health funded T32 Training in Social Processes of HIV/AIDS
- Associate Director, Southeast HIV/AIDS Research and Evaluation Project, Atlanta, GA
- Principal Investigator, Institute for Collaboration on Health, Intervention, and Policy, University of Connecticut
- Co-Chair, Sexual Health and HIV, Special Interest Group, Society Behavioral Medicine, Elected
- Research Faculty Award, Human Development and Family Studies, University of Connecticut
- White House Invited Attendee, HIV Stigma, Research for Robust Response
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Excellence in Research Award Nominee
- Mentorship Excellence Award Nominee from the Office of Undergraduate Research
- National Institutes of Health Reviewer for Population and Public Health Approaches to HIV/AIDS Study Section.
- National Institutes of Health Reviewer for AIDS and AIDS-Related Research Study Section.
- National Institutes of Health Reviewer for Addressing the Role of Violence on HIV Care Study Section.
- National Institutes of Health Reviewer for Reducing Stigma to Improve HIV/AIDS Prevention, Treatment, and Care in Low and Middle Income Counties Study Section.
- Associate Editor for Journal of Rural Mental Health
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Strategic Planning committee
(complete publication list here)
- Eaton, L.A., & Kalichman, S. C. (2020). Social and behavioral health responses to COVID-19: Lessons learned from four decades of an HIV pandemic. Journal of Behavioral Medicine.
- Earnshaw, V. A., Eaton, L. A., Collier, Z. K., Watson, R. J., Maksut, J. L., Rucinski, K. B., Kelly, J. F., & Kalichman, S. C. (2020). HIV stigma, depressive symptoms, and substance use. AIDS Patient Care & STDs.
- Maksut, JL, Eaton, LA, Baldwin, R, Driver, L*, & Knowles, CM*. (2020). Factors associated with awareness and use of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among Black men who have sex with men with a recent STI diagnosis. Behavioral Medicine.
- Rucinski, K., Eaton, L., Learner, E., Maksut, J., Watson, R.J., & Earnshaw, V. (2020). Transactional sex and incident chlamydia and gonorrhea among Black men who have sex with men in Atlanta. Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
- Sullivan, MC*, Rosen, AO*, Allen, A*, Benbella D*, Camcho G*, Cortopassi, AC*, Driver, R*, Ssenyonjo, J*, Eaton, LA & Kalichman, SC. (2019). Falling short of the first 90: HIV stigma and HIV testing research in the 90-90-90 era. AIDS and Behavior.
- Watson, RJ, Eaton, LA, Maksut, JL, Rucinski, KB, & Earnshaw, VA. (2019). Links between sexual orientation and disclosure among Black MSM: Sexual orientation and disclosure matter for PrEP awareness. AIDS and Behavior.
- Maksut, JL, Gicquelais, RE*, Jackman, KM*, Eaton, LA, Friedman, MR, Matthews, DD, Bukowski, LA, & Stall, R. Injection drug use, unknown HIV positive status, and self-reported current PrEP use among Black men who have sex with men attending U.S. Black Pride events, 2014-2017. Drug and Alcohol Use Dependence.
- Watson, RJ, Fish, JN, McKay, T, Allen, S, Eaton, LA, & Puhl, R. Substance use among a national sample of LGBTQ adolescents: Intersections of sex assigned at birth and gender identity. LGBT Health.
- Eaton, LA, Allen, A, Maksut, JL, Earnshaw, VA, Watson, RJ, & Kalichman, SC. HIV microaggressions: A novel measure of stigma-related experiences among people living with HIV. Journal of Behavioral Medicine.
- Matthews, DD, *Sang, J, *Chandler, CJ, *Bukowski, LA, Friedman, MR, Eaton, LA, & Stall, RD. Black men who have sex with men and lifetime HIV testing: Characterizing the reasons and consequences of having never tested for HIV. Prevention Science.
- Friedman, M, *Sang, JM, *Bukowski, LA, *Chandler, CJ, Egan, JE, Eaton, LA, Matthews, DD, Ho, K, Raymond, HF, & Stall, R. Prevalence and correlates of PrEP awareness and use among Black men who have sex with men and women (MSMW) in the United States. AIDS and Behavior.
- Earnshaw, VA, Reed, NM, Watson, RJ, Maksut, JL, *Allen, AM, & Eaton, LA. Intersectional internalized stigma among Black gay and bisexual men: A longitudinal analysis spanning HIV/STI diagnosis. Journal of Health Psychology.
- Chandler, CJ. *Sang, JM, *Bukowski, LA, Andrade, E, Eaton, LA, Stall, R, & Matthews, DD. Characterizing the HIV care continuum among a community sample of Black men who have sex with men. AIDS Care.
- Cortopassi, AC, *Driver, R, Eaton, LA, & Kalichman, SC. A new era of HIV risk: It’s not what you know, but who and how infectiousness. Annual Review of Psychology, 70:673-701.
- Friedman, MR, *Bukowski, L, Eaton, LA, Matthews, DD, Dyer, TV, Siconolfi, D, & Stall, R. Psychosocial health disparities among black bisexual men in the US: Effects of sexuality nondisclosure and gay community support. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48(1):213-224.
- Sang, JM, Matthews, DD, Meanley, SP, Eaton, LA, & Stall, RD. Assessing HIV stigma on prevention strategies among black men who have sex with men in the Unites States. AIDS and Behavior, 12:3879-3886.
- Maksut J, Eaton, LA, Siembida, Driffin, D, & Baldwin, R. Health care discrimination, sex behavior disclosure, and awareness of pre-exposure prophylaxis among black men who have sex with men. Stigma and Health, 3(4):330-337.
- Watson, RJ, Allen, A, Pollitt, A, & Eaton, L. Risk and protective factors for sexual health outcomes among black bisexual men: internalized heterosexism, sexual orientation disclosure, and religiosity. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 48(1):243-253.
- Eaton, LA, Matthews, DD, Bukowski, LA, Friedman, MR, Chandler, C, Whitfield, DL, Sang, JM, & Stall, R. (2018). Elevated HIV prevalence and correlates of PrEP use among a community sample of Black men who have sex with men. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 79(3):339-46.
- Eaton, LA, Earnshaw, V, Maksut, JL, Thorson, K, Driffin, D, & Baldwin, R. (2018). Experiences of stigma and health care engagement among Black men who have sex with men newly diagnosed with HIV/STI. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 41(4):458-66.
|Phone||860 486 6024|
|Mailing Address||Family Studies Building, Storrs CT, 06279|