Professor, Human Development and Family Sciences
M.S., Psychology, Yale University, 1992
B.A.H., Haverford College, 1988
- Schwartz M, Piekarz, E, Read M, Chriqui J. (in press). Wellness School Assessment Tool Version 3.0: An updated quantitative measure of written school wellness policies. Preventing Chronic Disease.
- Boehm R, Read M, Henderson K, Schwartz M. (2020). Removing competitive foods v. nudging and marketing school meals: A pilot study in high school cafeterias. Public Health Nutrition. February 23:2:1-8
- Cohen J, Schwartz M. (2020). Documented Success and Future Potential of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and January 1-4.
- Schwartz M, Brownell K, Miller L. (2019). Primer on US food and nutrition policy and public health: Protect school nutrition standards. American Journal of Public Health. 109: 990-991.
- Brownell K, Miller L, Schwartz M. (2019). Primer on US food and nutrition policy and public health: Food assistance. American Journal of Public Health. 109: 988-989.
- Miller L. Schwartz M, Brownell K, (2019). Primer on US food and nutrition policy and public health: Food sustainability. American Journal of Public Health. 109: 986-988.
- *Fernandes CF, Schwartz MB, Ickovics JR, Basch CE. (2019). Educator perspectives: Selected barriers to implementation of school-level nutrition policies. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 51(7):843-849.
- McKee S, Cooksey-Stowers K, St. Louis R, Schwartz M. (2019). Understanding the process of implementing nutrition and physical activity policies in a large national child care organization: a mixed-methods study. Translational Behavioral Medicine. April 1-11.
- Stein E, Cooksey-Stowers K, McCabe M, White M, Schwartz M. (2019). Ingredient bundles and recipe tastings in food pantries: a pilot study to increase the selection of healthy foods. Public Health Nutrition. March 1-6.
- Schwartz M, Seligman H. (2019). The Unrealized Health Promoting Potential of a National Network of Food Pantries. Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition. 14:1-2
- Boehm, R., Read, M., Henderson, K.E., Schwartz, M.B. (2019). Juice displaces milk and fruit in high school lunches. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Ickovics, J.R., O’Connor-Duffany, K., Shebl, F.M., Peters, S.M., Read, M., Gilstad-Hayden, K., Schwartz, M.B. (2019). Implementing school-based policies to prevent obesity: Cluster randomized trial. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Jan; 56(1):e1-e11. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2018.08.026
- Cooksey-Stowers, K., Martin, K., Schwartz, M.B. (2019). Client preferences for nutrition interventions in food pantries. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. 14,18-34.
- Cooksey-Stowers, K., Martin, K., Read, M., Wolff, M., McCabe, M., Schwartz, M.B. (2019). Food pantry staff perceptions of a nutrition rating system to guide client choice. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 14, 35-49.
- Foster J., Schwartz M., Grenier R., Burke M., Taylor E., Mobley A. (2018). A qualitative investigation into the U.S. Department of Agriculture 18-item Household Food Security Survey Module: Variations in interpretation, understanding and report by gender. Journal of Public Affairs. e.1862.
- Martin, K., Callahan, K., Wolff, M. & Schwartz, M.B. (2018). Supporting Wellness at Pantries (SWAP): Development of a nutrition stoplight system for food banks and food pantries. Journal of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. May: 1-7.
- Schwartz M, Henderson K, Read M, Cornelius T. (2017) Student Acceptance of Plain Milk Increases Significantly 2 Years after Flavored Milk Is Removed from School Cafeterias: An Observational Study. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. July 1-8
- Cooksey-Stowers K, Schwartz MB, Brownell K. (2017). Food Swamps Predict Obesity Rates Better Than Food Deserts in the United States. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. November 1-20
- Schwartz, M. B., Schneider, G. E., * Choi, Y. Y., * Li, X., Harris, J., Andreyeva, T., * Hyary, M., Highsmith Vernick, N., Appel, L. J. (2017). Association of a Community Campaign for Better Beverage Choices with Beverage Purchases from Supermarkets. JAMA Internal Medicine. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.9650.
- Schwartz, M. B., Just, D. R., Chriqui, J. F., Ammerman, A. S. (2017). Appetite self-regulation: Environmental and policy influences on eating behaviors. Obesity, 25 Suppl 1:S26-S38. doi: 10.1002/oby.21770.
Selected examples of national media coverage:
The Counter (October 1, 2020)
The Counter (June 11, 2020)
Reuters (February 21, 2020)
Medical Xpress (January 14, 2020)
Food Navigator (January 14, 2020)
Business Insider (December 20, 2019)
NBC News (December 18, 2019)
US News (December 18, 2019)
HuffPost (September 13, 2019)
NPR (August 25, 2019)
Pacific Standard (June 20, 2019)
Washington Post (June 9, 2019)
NPR (April 11, 2019)
Los Angeles Times (January 28, 2019)
CNBC (December 11, 2018)
CNN (October 24, 2018)
Refinery29 (May 10, 2018)
The Telegraph (April 13, 2018)
The Washington Post (December 5, 2017)
NPR (March 31, 2017)
NPR (March 13, 2017)
|Phone||860 380 1211|
|Mailing Address||1 Constitution Plaza, Suite 600, Hartford CT 06103|
|Courses||HDFS 3095: Food and the American Family|