Kim M. Gans
I am currently recruiting graduate students. Email me if you are interested.
Dr. Gans research focuses on interventions in community-based settings with diverse populations to imanprove eating habits, increase physical activity and prevent/control obesity. She has created innovative health communication technologies to change behavior and she studies interventions to improve home, work and neighborhood environments and how these interventions interface with behavior change interventions to enhance obesity prevention. Another emphasis is on translational research to study the dissemination of effective interventions to various community and clinical settings.
Her recent research includes grants to: improve the environments of family child care homes to increase water accessibility and reduce childhood obesity; improve the eating habits of Southeast Asian children using financial incentives for grocery stores and/or group education and text messages for families; increase physical activity in Latino men; develop and pilot m-Health enhancements for a father-focused childhood obesity prevention program; study whether Food Swamps are Linked to disparities in parent food shopping habits & nutrition inequities among 3-5 year-olds; and formative research in Israel to inform childhood obesity prevention in family childcare homes. She is also collaborating on other projects related to obesity prevention/treatment, physical activity and nutrition as well as other topics including social isolation, and violence prevention.
Kim’s research interests include:
- Healthy eating/nutrition
- Obesity prevention and treatment
- Physical activity
- Interventions in child care settings
- Community-engaged research
- Innovative technology for behavior change
- Worksite, school and home-based interventions
- Low income and ethnic minority populations
- Food environments/food access
- Translational/dissemination research
- Health literacy
- Physician education/training
- Dietary assessment
Duke University, Biology, B.S., 1983
University of North Carolina, Master’s in Public Health, 1985
University of Rhode Island, Biological Sciences (Nutrition), Ph.D., 1992
Selected Publications since 2012
- Johnson P., Risica, P., Gans, K., Kirtania, U. and Kumanyika, S., Association of perceived racial discrimination with eating behaviors and obesity among participants of the Sister-Talk Study. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc, (23) 1, July 2012, 34-40.
- Pekmezi D, Dunsiger S, Gans K, Bock B, Gaskins R, Marquez B, Lee C, Neighbors C, Jennings E, Tilkemeier P, Marcus B. Rationale, design, and baseline findings from Seamos Saludables: A randomized controlled trial testing the efficacy of a culturally and linguistically adapted, computer- tailored physical activity intervention for Latinas. Contemp Clin Trials. 2012 Nov;33(6):1261-71. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3468688.
- Marcus BH, Dunsiger SI, Pekmezi DW, Larsen BA, Bock BC, Gans KM, Marquez B, Morrow KM, Tilkemeier P. The Seamos Saludables study: A randomized controlled physical activity trial of Latinas. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Nov;45(5):598-605. doi:10.1016/j.amepre.2013.07.006. PubMed PMID: 24139773.
- Risica PM, Gans KM, Kumanyika S, Kirtania U, Lasater TM. SisterTalk: final results of a culturally tailored cable television delivered weight control program for Black women. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 10:141 December 2013. PMID: 24373253 PMCID: PMC3880004
- Hartman SJ, Risica PM, Gans KM, Marcus BH, Eaton CB. Tailored weight loss intervention in obese adults within primary care practice: rationale, design, and methods of Choose to Lose. Contemp Clin Trials. 2014 Jul;38(2):409-19. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2014.06.001. Epub 2014 Jun 15. PMID: 24937016; PMCID: PMC4151311
- Keita AD, Risica PM, Drenner KL, Adams I, Gorham G, Gans KM. Feasibility and acceptability of an early childhood obesity prevention intervention: results from the healthy homes, healthy families pilot study. J Obes. 2014;2014:378501. doi: 10.1155/2014/378501. Epub 2014 Oct 27. PubMed PMID: 25405026; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4227329.
- Marcus BH, Dunsiger SI, Pekmezi D, Larsen BA, Marquez B, Bock BC, Gans KM, Morrow KM, Tilkemeier P. Twelve-month physical activity outcomes in Latinas in the Seamos Saludables Trial. Am J Prev Med. 2015 Feb;48(2):179-82. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2014.08.032. Epub 2014 Nov 6. PMID: 25442225
- Dominick GM, Dunsiger SI, Pekmezi DW, Larsen B, Marquez B, Nodora J, Gans KM, Marcus BH. Moderating effects of health literacy on change in physical activity among Latinas in a Randomized Trial. J of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2015:1-7 PMCID: PMC5064840, PMID: 26863464
- Tovar A, Risica P, Mena N, Lawson E, Ankoma A, Gans KM. An assessment of nutrition practices and attitudes in family child-care homes: implications for policy implementation. Prev Chronic Dis. 2015 Jun 4;12:E88. doi: 10.5888/pcd12.140587. PubMed PMID: 26043303; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4456854.
- Dulin-Keita A; Clay O; Hannon L; Adams I; Rogers M; Gans K. 2015. HOPE VI neighborhood revitalization and the odds of neighborhood-based physical activity: A mixed-methods approach. Soc Sci Med. Volume 139, August 2015, Pages 90–99. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.06.002.
- Marcus BH, Hartman SJ, Pekmezi D, Dunsiger SI, Linke S, Marquez B, Gans KM, Bock BC, Larsen BA, Rojas C. Using interactive Internet technology to promote physical activity in Latinas: Rationale, design, and baseline findings of Pasos Hacia La Salud. Contemp Clin Trials. 2015 Aug 5. pii: S1551-7144(15)30063-X. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2015.08.004. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26255237.
- Tovar A, Mena NZ, Risica P, Gorham G, Gans KM. Nutrition and physical activity environments of home-based child care: What Hispanic providers have to say. Child Obes. 2015 Oct;11(5):521-9. doi: 10.1089/chi.2015.0040. Epub 2015 Sep 2. PubMed PMID: 26332455.
- Gans KM, Dulin-Keita A, Risica PM, Dawood M, Strolla L. Innovative video tailoring for dietary change: Final results of the Good For You! cluster randomized trial. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2015, 12:130 PMID: 26445486, PMCID: PMC4596558
- Gorham G, Dionne L, Risica PM, Mello J, Papandonatos G, Gorham S, Dulin-Keita A, Gans KM. Effectiveness of Fresh to You, a discount fresh fruit and vegetable market in low-income neighborhoods, on children’s fruit and vegetable consumption, Rhode Island, 2010–2011. Prev Chronic Dis 2015;12:140583. PMID: 26469949, PMCID: PMC4611858.
- Risica PM, DeMeester RH, Weinstock MA, Gans KM, Markova A, Shaikh W, Chambers C, Kabongo M, Kallail K, Post D. Effect of a weight web course on primary care practice: A randomized controlled trial. (2015) J Family Med Community Health 2(4): 1039. PMID: 24129868
- Gans KM, Salkeld J, Risica PM, Lenz, E, Burton D, Mello, J, Bell JP. Occupation is related to weight and lifestyle factors among employees at worksites involved in a weight gain prevention study. J Occup Environ Med. Volume 57(10), October 2015, p e114–e120.
- Hartman SJ, Dunsiger SI, Marinac CR, Marcus BH, Rosen RK, Gans KM. Internet-based physical activity intervention for women with a family history of breast cancer. Health Psychol.2015 Dec;34 Suppl:1296-304. doi: 10.1037/hea0000307.
- Marcus BH, Hartman SJ, Larsen BA, Pekmezi D, Dunsiger SI, Linke S, Marquez B, Gans KM, Bock BC, Mendoza-Vasconez AS, Noble ML, Rojas C. Pasos Hacia La Salud: a randomized controlled trial of an internet-delivered physical activity intervention for Latinas. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016 13:62; DOI: 10.1186/s12966-016-0385-7; Published: 28 May 2016 PMID: 27234302, PMCID: PMC4884436
- Gans KM; Gorham G; Risica PM; Dulin-Keita A; Dionne L; Gao T; Peters S; Principato L. A multi-level intervention in subsidized housing sites to increase fruit and vegetable access and intake: Rationale, design and methods of the ‘Live Well, Viva Bien’ cluster randomized trial. BMC Public Health. 2016:June. 16:521, PMID: 27353149, PMCID: PMC4924350
- Eaton CB, Hartman SJ, Perzanowski E, Pan G, Roberts MB, Risica PM, Gans KM, Jakicic JM, Marcus BH. A Randomized Clinical Trial of a Tailored Lifestyle Intervention for Obese, Sedentary, Primary Care Patients. Ann Fam Med. 2016 Jul;14(4):311-9. doi: 10.1370/afm.1952. PMID: 27401418; PMCID: PMC4940460.
- Dulin-Keita A; Whittaker S; Wynter J; Kidanu TW; Cardel M; Chhay C; Gans K. Applying concept mapping methodology to identify the perceptions of risk and protective factors for childhood obesity among Southeast Asian refugees. J Health Care Poor Underserved.November 2016;27(4):1909-1933. PMID: 27818447
- Hartman, S.J., Dunsiger, S., Bock, B.C., Larsen, B. A., Linke, S., Pekmezi, D., Marquez, B., Gans, K.M., Mendoza-Vasconez, A., & Marcus, B.H. (2017). Physical Activity Maintenance among Spanish-Speaking Latinas in a Randomized Controlled Trial of an Internet-based Intervention. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 2017 Jun;40(3):392-402 PMID: 27752866, PMCID: PMC5393970
- Hughes BL, Gans KM, Raker C, Hipolito ER, Rouse DJ. A Brief Prenatal Intervention of Behavioral Change to Reduce the Risk of Maternal Cytomegalovirus: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Obstet Gynecol. 2017 Oct;130(4):726-734. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000002216. PubMed PMID: 28885428.
- Risica PM, Gorham G, Dionne L, Nardi W, Ng D, Middler R, Mello J, Akpolat R, Gettens K, Gans KM. A multi-level intervention in worksites to increase fruit and vegetable access and intake: Rationale, design and methods of the ‘Good to Go’ cluster randomized trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2018 Feb;65:87-98. Epub 2017 Dec 12. PMID: 29242108
- Marquez B., Norman G, Fowler J, Gans K, Marcus B. Weight and weight control behaviors of Latinas and their social ties. Health Psychology. 2018 Apr;37(4):318-325. doi: 10.1037/hea0000597. Epub 2018 Feb 1. PMID: 29389157, PMCID: PMC5880731
- Dulin-Keita A; Risica PM; Ahmed R; Mello, J.; Cardel M; Howe C; Nadimpalli S; Gans KM. Neighborhood social and environmental factors and fruit and vegetable intake among residents in subsidized housing. BMC Public Health. Apr. 5 2018;18:455, PMCID: PMC5887203, PMID: 29621989
- Marquez B, Norman G, Fowler R, Gans KM, Marcus B. Egocentric networks and physical activity outcomes in Latinas. PLOS One. 2018 Jun 18;13(6):e0199139. PMID: 29912935, PMCID: PMC6005572
- Gans KM, Risica PM, Keita AD, Dionne L, Mello J, Stowers KC, Papandonatos G, Whittaker S, Gorham G. Multilevel approaches to increase fruit and vegetable intake in low-income housing communities: final results of the ‘Live Well, Viva Bien’ cluster-randomized trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2018 Aug 20;15(1):80. PMID: 30126463, PMCID: PMC6102886
- Gans KM, Tovar A, Jiang Q, Mello J, Dionne L, Mena NZ, Paloma V, Risica PM. Nutrition-related Practices of Family Childcare Providers and Differences by Ethnicity. Childhood Obesity.2019 Apr;15(3):167-184. doi: 10.1089/chi.2018.0083. Epub 2019 Feb 1. PMID: 30707598
- Dulin-Keita A; Quintiliani L; Buscemi J; Bell, B.M.; Gans KM; Yaroch A. Society of Behavioral Medicine position statement: increase funding for fruits and vegetables production in The Farm Bill reauthorization. Translational Behavioral Medicine. March 2019; 9(2):391-394.
- Risica PM, Tovar A, Palomo V, Dionne L, Mena N, Magid K, Ward DS, Gans KM. Improving nutrition and physical activity environments of family child care homes: the rationale, design and study protocol of the ‘Healthy Start/Comienzos Sanos’ cluster randomized trial. BMC Public Health. 2019 Apr 18;19(1):419. PubMed PMID: 30999881; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6472069.
- Linke SE, Dunsiger SI, Gans KM, Hartman SJ, Pekmezi D, Larsen BA, Mendoza-Vasconez AS, Marcus BH. Association between physical activity intervention website use and physical activity levels among Spanish-Speaking Latinas: Randomized Controlled Trial. J Med Internet Res. 2019 Jul 24;21(7):e13063. PubMed PMID: 31342902.
- Cuadrado-Soto E, Risica PM, Gans KM, Ellis C, Araujo CD, Lofgren IE, Stowers KC, Tovar A. Micronutrient adequacy in preschool children attending family child care homes. Nutrients. 2019 Sep 6;11(9). pii: E2134. PubMed PMID: 31500153; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6770721.
- Mena NZ, Risica PM, Gans KM, Lofgren IE, Gorman K, Tobar FK, Tovar A. Communication With Family Child Care Providers and Feeding Preschool-Aged Children: Parental Perspectives. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2020 Jan;52(1):10-20. PMID: 31929040; PMCID: PMC6961812.
- Tovar A, Risica PM, Ramirez A, Mena N, Lofgren I, Cooksey Stowers K, Gans KM. Exploring provider-level socio-demographic determinants of diet quality of preschool aged children attending family childcare homes. Nutrients. May 2020, 12(5), 1368. PMID: 32403299, PMCID: PMC7284878
- Fox K, Gans K, McCurdy K, Risica PM, Jennings E, Gorin A, Papandonatos GD, Tovar A. Rationale, design and study protocol of the ‘Strong Families Start at Home’ feasibility trial to improve the diet quality of low-income, ethnically diverse children by helping parents improve their feeding and food preparation practices. Contemp Clin Trials Commun. 2020 Jun 16;19:100583. PMID: 32637721; PMCID: PMC7327278.
- BA Larsen , TJ Benitez , AS Mendoza-Vasconez, SJ Hartman, SE Linke, DJ Pekmezi, SI Dunsiger, JN Nodora, KM Gans, BH Marcus. Randomized Trial of a Physical Activity Intervention for Latino Men: Activo. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Volume 59, Issue 2, August 2020, Pages 219-227. PMID: 32448552; PMCID: PMC7375921
- Benitez, T.J., Dunsiger, S.I., Pekmezi, D.J., Larsen, B.A., Mendoza-Vasconez, A.S., Linke, S.E., Bock, B.C., Gans, K.M., Hartman, S.J., Marcus, B.H. Design and rationale for a randomized trial of a theory- and technology- enhanced physical activity intervention for Latinas: The Seamos Activas II study. Contemporary Clinical Trials. Volume 96, September 2020, 106081. PMID: 32687974; PMCID: PMC7494592.
- Cooksey Stowers K, Jiang Q, Atoloye A, Lucan S, Gans K. Racial Differences in Perceived Food Swamp and Food Desert Exposure and Disparities in Self-Reported Dietary Habits. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Sep 29;17(19):7143. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17197143. PMID: 33003573; PMCID: PMC7579470.
- AW Kang, TR Ash, A Tovar, KM Gans, J Minkel, , Risica. Exploring parenting contexts of Latinx 2-to-5-year old children’s sleep: Qualitative evidence informing intervention development. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 2020 Sep – Oct;54:93-100. PMID: 32801064
- Cooksey Stowers K, Marfo NYA, Gurganus EA, Gans KM, Kumanyika SK, Schwartz MB. The hunger-obesity paradox: Exploring food banking system characteristics and obesity inequities among food-insecure pantry clients. PLoS One. 2020;15(10):e0239778. Published 2020 Oct 21. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0239778 PMCID: PMC7577435 PMID: 33085685
- Ramirez, A.; Vadiveloo, M.; Risica, P.M.; Gans, K.M.; Greaney, M.L.; Mena, N.Z.; Cooksey Stowers, K.; Tovar, A. Dietary Contributors to Food Group Intake in Preschool Children Attending Family Childcare Homes: Differences between Latino and Non-Latino Providers. November 2020, 12, 3686. PMID: 33260442; PMCID: PMC7761496
- Kang, A.W., Gans, K.M., Minkel, J. & Risica, P.M. (2020). Effects of Coparenting Quality, Stress, and Sleep Parenting on Sleep and Obesity among Latinx Children: A Path Analysis. J Pediatr Health Care. . Nov-Dec 2020;34(6):e77-e90. PMID: 32891498.
- Risica PM, Nelson T, Camacho-Orona K, Bove G, Kumanyika SK, Odoms-Young AM, Silice M, Kirtania U, Gans KM. Emotional eating predicts weight regain among Black women in the SisterTalk intervention. Obesity, 29(1), 19-85. 2021 Jan. https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.23045
- Gans K, Dulin A, Palomo V, Benitez T, Dunsiger S, Dionne L, Champion G, Edgar R, Marcus B. A Tailored Web- and Text-Based Intervention to Increase Physical Activity for Latino Men: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Feasibility Trial. JMIR Res Protoc 2021 Jan 29;10(1):e23690. PMCID: PMC7880809
- Risica PM, McCarthy ML, Barry KL, Oliverio SP, Gans KM, De Groot AS. Clinical outcomes of a community clinic-based lifestyle change program for prevention and management of metabolic syndrome: Results of the ‘Vida Sana/Healthy Life’ program. PLoS One. 2021 Apr 1;16(4):e0248473. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0248473. PMID: 33793595; PMCID: PMC8016241
- Kang AW, Gans KM, von Ash T, Castagneri D, Dionne L, Tovar A, Risica PM. Physical Activity Levels among Preschool-Aged Children in Family Child Care Homes: A Comparison between Hispanic and Non-Hispanic Children Using Accelerometry. Children (Basel). 2021 Apr 28;8(5):349. doi: 10.3390/children8050349. PMID: 33924912; PMCID: PMC8145521..
- Kang, A.W. Gans, K.M., Minkel, J. & Risica, P.M. (2021) Correlates of objectively measured physical activity and sleep among Latinx Children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing.Volume 60, September–October 2021, Pages 40-45; PMID: 33618176; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2021.01.010
- Jiang Q, Tovar A, Risica PM, Cooksey Stowers K, Schwartz M, Lombardi C, Kang A, Mena NZ, Gans KM. Ethnic Differences in Family Childcare Providers’ Nutrition- and Activity-Related Attitudes and Barriers. J Obes. 2021 Oct 7;2021:6697006. doi: 10.1155/2021/6697006. PMID: 34659829; PMCID: PMC8516587.
- Gans KM, Jiang Q, Tovar A, Kang A, McCardle M, Risica PM. Physical Activity and Screen Time Practices of Family Child Care Providers: Do They Meet Best Practice Guidelines? Child Obes. 2021 Dec 1. doi: 10.1089/chi.2021.0094. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34851731.
- Von Ash T, Risica PM, Tovar A, Gans KM. An Observational Assessment of Sleep Environments in Family Child Care Homes. International Journal of Epidemiology and Public Health Research. 2021 1(5).
- Dulin A, Mealy R, Whittaker S, Cardel M, Wang J, Risica PM, Gans K. Identifying Barriers to and Facilitators of Using a Mobile Fruit and Vegetable Market Intervention Delivered to Low-Income Housing Sites: A Concept Mapping Study. Health Educ Behav. 2022 Feb;49(1):159-168. doi: 10.1177/1090198121998287. Epub 2021 Mar 17. PMID: 33729024; PMCID: PMC8446086
- Bennett, B.L., Gans, K.M., Burkholder, K.; Esposito, J., Warykas, S.W.; Schwartz, M.B. Distributing Summer Meals during a Pandemic: Challenges and Innovations. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 3167. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19063167
- Karen McCurdy, Kim M. Gans, Patricia Markham Risica, Katelyn Fox, and Alison Tovar.. Food insecurity, food parenting practices, and child eating behaviors among low-income Hispanic families of young children. Appetite. 2022 Feb 1;169:105857. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2021.105857. PMID: 34896386; PMCID: PMC8748423.
- Mobley A.R., Gans K.M., Adamsons K., Huedo-Medina T.B. Feasibility, Acceptability, and Preliminary Outcomes of a Father-Focused Childhood Obesity Prevention Program for Low-Income Families with Preschool-Age Children. Childhood Obesity. http://doi.org/10.1089/chi.2021.0225 Online Ahead of Print. March 11, 2022
- Gans KM, et al. A multi‑component tailored intervention in family childcare homes improves diet quality and sedentary behavior of preschool children compared to an attention control: results from the Healthy Start‑Comienzos Sanos cluster randomized trial. International Journal of Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2022 Apr 15;19(1):45. doi: 10.1186/s12966-022-01272-6. PMID: 35428298; PMCID: PMC9013065.
- Evans EW, Lyerly R, Gans KM, Alexander Scott N, Cohen ED, Lawson E, Nunn A. Translating Research-Funded Mobile Produce Market Trials Into Sustained Public Health Programs : Food on the Move. Public Health Rep. 2022 May-Jun;137(3):425-430. doi: 10.1177/00333549211012409. Epub 2021 May 3. PMID: 33940983.
- Mobley A.R., Gans K.M., Adamsons K., Varela EG, Zeldman JA. A Qualitative Study to Determine Low-Income Fathers’ Preferred mHealth Nutrition-Related Topics, Features, and Delivery Methods, J Nutr Educ Behav In Press March 2022
|Phone||860 486 3865|
|Mailing Address||348 Mansfield Road, U-1058 Storrs, CT 06269-1058 USA|