Travel for HDFS

UConn Travel Services provides information for all university travel, reimbursement of travel-related expenses, and out-of-pocket expenses.

To learn more about planning your trip, submitting expenses, and reimbursement, go the Training and Resources webpage. There you will find step-by-step guides and training videos for the following:

  1. Apply for a University Travel Card (Optional)

  2. Set up an account in Concur (REQUIRED)

    Add a Delegate (Highly recommended- Janice Berriault)
  3. Submit a Pre-Approval Travel Request (REQUIRED)

  4. Booking travel in CONCUR

    Airfare Price Comparison- Cost comparisons through Anthony Travel are REQUIRED for all travel when a business trip is combined with personal travel.
  5. Create Expense Report- After trip, to be reimbursed


Apply for travel funding

HDFS Faculty

Fill out the online form at Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) website.

To begin, enter the email for the administrative contact in your department who is responsible for processing travel reimbursements (email: The staff contact named here will be copied on award letters, allowing your department to process reimbursements more easily.


A UConn Travel Card travel can be used for travel expenses (including conference registration). For more information and to request a Travel Card go to:

Faculty who have funding awards through university accounts:  The department Procard can be used to pay conference registration fees. Please contact for more information.

HDFS Graduate Students

The Department provides HDFS graduate students with nominal subsidies to help offset the cost of their travel to professional meetings.  You can request up to:

$550- For graduate students PRESENTING and traveling to professional meetings (The maximum in any one academic year is $550).

$350- For a graduate student who has never attended (or presented) at any professional conference or meeting. Student will attend a meeting for the FIRST time and will NOT present (Eligible for this award only ONCE in their tenure as a graduate student).

To request department travel funding, submit the HDFS Grad Student Travel Fund Request form. Please know the funds are available to you, but the request is required before travel.

Doctoral Candidates- IMPORTANT!  Doctoral Candidates who are eligible for travel funding from the Graduate School will FIRST exhaust the $750 awarded to them by the Graduate School BEFORE applying for departmental funds. Go to the Graduate School website to check your eligibility and apply for GRAD SCHOOL travel funding.

Students who have funding awards through university accounts:  The department Procard can be used to pay conference registration fees (so you don't have to pay out of pocket). Please contact for more information.